Friday, March 16, 2012

Community art: drawing over the cracks

Walking home last night, it struck me that the thing I find most dispiriting about where we live is all the grey concrete and tarmac.

This evening the children solved that problem for me. A neighbouring child called round, and had to almost drag my children out by the hair, so goggled-eyed and lethargic were they from too much post-school screen time.

They headed out with a box of chalks and began an impromptu street art competition. More flocked to join them. Soon there were seven kids, aged between 2 and 9, pouring their creative souls onto the vast blank canvas of the pavement - bringing brightness, exuberance, colour and life to the paths we daily tread.


Last year when dreaming up our Big Lunch, I wanted to suggest painting a mural on the grey wall at the end of our estate. It being our first Big Lunch in the community, and organising it single-handedly, I didn't want to put noses out of joint, or foist my mad creative projects on unwilling victims.

I love community art projects. A few years back I co-chaired a local arts festival. One of our most popular events was the family sand-sculpting competition on the beach.

This year I have a feeling there will be another pavement art competition for the Big Lunch, and perhaps a mural too - even if it's just in chalks.

Shared as part of The Big Lunch.

2 comments:

  1. There is nothing more lovely than chalk pictures on the pavement. I remember when my primary school suddnely announced every child was allowed, encouraged even, to bring thier own little box of chalks to school for play time. All of a sudden like never before the playground was transformed and there were chalk pictures everywhere. I will never know or remember why this was instigated, all I remember is that it was - much to our delight! I take a bag of yard chalks everywhere I go with the kids, you never know when they will come in handy.
    Much love x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that too.
    I use to bring chalks for my kids when we go to playground since they are very young. They love to draw big shapes on the floor and another children always join them. Super fun and expressive!
    The playgroung keeps full of pictures -- til the next rain wash it all.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...